Tuesday, October 21, 2008

First Day


Well lets get to it shall we? After a glitch in the system (everything at blogspot here in China is in Chinese) I am finally logged on. So, from the beginning. Flew out of Chicago at 12:30 PM. and landed in Beijing after 13 meals 8 Canada Dry's and 6 movies. Long flight. The food on the plane is not worth mentioning, except for the fact that a person should not take in 3800 calories and remain stagnent for 14 hours, but hey I'm an American so what the hell.

Flying in to Beijing was smooth. smoother, Korbel. Best landing ever. Had a cute local girl waiting to help us get through customs and baggage. She really only knew "pointing" english, but I know "following" Chinese so it worked out swimmingly. Once you get outside you expect to fall into an acid rain, global dimming ozone hole , but in all honesty I don't think it's any worse than Florida, I mean with its heat and humidity & geriatric perfume festival, it's like living in an armpit.

After meeting our group and guide Rebecca, it was off to our hotel, The Peninsula. Nice place? Ahh no, more like glorious. We have executive club privileges, which meant three Campari and seltzers, and some snacks. After we settled in five of us met for dinner in the hotels Chinese restaurant, had the obligatory fried rice(really good, made with white soy), Shrimp w/ hairy crab sauce (exceptional), dumplings, beef short ribs, and a damn good steamed cabbage in thick broth. All in all a solid meal and a good start to what is proving to be an interesting adventure.

That night after tucking everyone in, I roamed the streets around the hotel. A small shopping district really only led to 20 or so offers of "massages", and since I was a little sore from the flight...just kidding mom. I did find a little bar around the corner from the hotel, that, thanks to one American chef is now serving Canadian car bombs. Got home at 3;30 a little hagard but no worse for wear.

OK. yesterday was a trip to the Forbidden City, some awsome and some not so tasty food, and for Shawn some pictures. But for now I am off to the Chinese Doctor and the Great Wall, so I will catch up on everthing I missed tonite.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gregg -
What is a "Chinese Doctor" and what is a Canadian Car Bomb?
Judy K Peoples

Anonymous said...

Gregg...Glad you got through...we were wondering. Enjoyed your blog...Keep them coming! Mom D.

Anonymous said...

What!?! No massage! This sounds like the worst trip ever. Much better to be back here in the tea room. I, for one, am glad I'm not staying in a fabulous hotel, eating great food and seeing an exciting new country.

- Shawn

sammy said...

DADDY!!!!! You told me to blog you and I wasnt sure as to how, so this is the best I could do. I hope China is good and you are having fun. I want to know EVERYTHING that is happining! haha. ANDDD i got another root canal. I suppose that could've waited until you got back but I had to tell you. Anyway I'm going to go! Bye.
Sammy! =]